Thursday, September 9, 2010

Duathlon World Championship Edinburgh, Scotland

This was one of the best World Championship I've been too.  The venue was great.  The race was held at Holyrood Park, which is located in Edinburgh.  There were plenty of accommodations close to the race site and transition.  Edinburgh was cheap and easy to get around.  There was no need for a rental car.  Hannah and I walked to anything we need or wanted to see.

Holyrood Park is beautiful green space in the heart of the city on the site of an old volcano.  There around three peaks the rise high above the city and are great for hiking, mountain biking, and just being out side.  The race course is on a park road the circumnavigates the peaks of the park.  The road climbs about 600 ft, which made for a challenging bike course because of the multiple laps.  Each lap had tough climb and technical descent.  The run course was on the same road and adjacent bike path or "cycle path," which also had a climb and descent.  The elite race as 4 laps for the first run, 7 laps for the bike, and 2 laps for the second run (10k, 39k, 5k).  For the elites, the race is draft legal which isn't my preferred format because I'm a stronger cyclist.

I was hoping to get a good effort out of this race in preparation for the Rev3 Full the following weekend.  I didn't except a great result because I've haven't been doing as much speed work to run a 30 minute 10k.  My run training has been more focused on long course running.  The first run I ran 31:50 and the majority of the group went around 30:10.  I did manage to bike passed half the field and come in to transition in 17th.  My second run was much better relative to my competition.  I caught one of the guys from the bike group ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment